Hot destinations may now be more affordable
Despite a downturn in the economy and rising fuel prices, millions of Americans still plan to travel this summer. Many will find a growing number of travel bargains for dream destinations. The Travel Industry Association (TIA) reports that Americans are expected to take more than 327 million leisure trips during June, July and August of 2008. This represents only a slight decline over last summer, down between one and 1.5 percent. That decline, however slight, has created bargains to destinations worldwide for the summer.
According to AAA′s Leisure Travel Index, the average rate for a AAA Three Diamond hotel room in July 2008 is $136 in Honolulu/Waikiki, $259 in Maui, $256 in New York City, $160 in Washington, D.C., $138 in Las Vegas, $193 in San Francisco, and $196 in Seattle. Travel packages offer additional opportunities to save. Combining airfare and hotel stay in one package can provide significant savings and in some cases extras such as transportation from the airport or some meals will be included as well. The following are examples of packages currently available from AAA. *
- Hawaii: Visit Kauai for five nights including hotel, economy car and airfare from Portland for only $789 and Boise $889. Prices are per person, based on double occupancy for select dates available from early September through mid-December. Book by August 8, 2008.
- Girlfriends in the City Getaway: This package includes a two-night hotel stay in New York City, a tour of sites from Sex And the City and all state and local taxes. Hotel prices start at $259 per person, based on double occupancy. Contact your AAA Travel Agent for air-inclusive pricing.
- San Francisco Adventure: Package includes a 2-night hotel stay, San Francisco CityPass Sightseeing booklet and all state and local taxes. Prices start at $209 per person, based on double occupancy, excluding airfare.
- Family Fun in San Diego: Package includes a 2-night hotel stay including local taxes, and one-day admission to the San Diego Zoo. Prices start at $139 per person, based on double occupancy. Airfare is additional.
Certain restrictions apply. Visit AAA.com or talk with your AAA Travel Agent for details and more information on these packages and other travel opportunities worldwide. Don′t forget AAA members receive exclusive Member Benefits when booking through AAA Travel.
* Certain restrictions may apply. Taxes, gratuities, transfers, airfare and excursions are additional unless otherwise indicated. Rates shown include Hawaii ticket tax and round-trip fuel surcharge on United Airlines, but do not include Transportation Taxes of $15.40, Passenger Facility Charges of $3 – $18, a per segment tax of $3.50, or September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement (up to a maximum of $5.00 per one-way or $10.00 per round-trip).
For more information go to www.AAA.com.