For decades AAA has been synonymous with the summer road trip. Now, with our new and enhanced online travel planning tools, you’ll be ready to shift your road trip ideas into high gear. Locate electric vehicle charging stations, utilize ready-made drive routes, find the best fuel prices, restaurants, attractions, hotels and more. Download the app and start planning your drive vacation today!
TripTik Travel Planner
The AAA TripTik Travel Planner and the Maps & Directions feature in the AAA Mobile app display updated fuel prices and help in locating AAA Approved and Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants, attractions, events and much more. You can even calculate your driving distance and pinpoint vehicle charging stations across the country to plan your trip without incident. And when you’re done planning you can save your trip for use with the AAA Mobile app. Or, if you prefer, you can complete your AAA travel package with printable maps from AAA Map Gallery on AAA.com. Map Gallery has full-color maps of more than 400 popular destination areas across North America from Miami Beach to British Columbia.
If you’re a member, stop by your local AAA office and ask our knowledgeable travel professionals to help you create a TripTik Travel Planner routing, provide information on vacation packages, find the best travel deals and even help you rent a car for the trip.
Drive Trips Added to TripTik Travel Planner
Drive Trips are ready-made routes and road itineraries included in the desktop and mobile app versions of TripTik Travel Planner. We currently have 71 Drive Trips available to you including recently added itineraries through southern parts of Arizona, Florida, Illinois and Texas; several new sections of Route 66; Green Bay and Door County, Wisconsin; Illinois and Indiana state capitals; and Vancouver, Victoria and Coastal Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Each trip provides photos and descriptive information, detailed maps, segmented driving directions and recommended stops at AAA-listed attractions. Additional routes are planned, so check back often.
Summer Road Trip Travel Tips
One of the fastest ways to put the brakes on a great vacation is with an emergency. By planning ahead and preparing properly, travelers can minimize risk. AAA offers these precautionary tips:
- Consider having your car checked by an automotive technician before a long trip. An ounce of prevention can be worth a pound of cure.
- Check the tires regularly for uneven or excessive tread wear. Make sure all items, including the spare, are inflated properly. Do at least one check BEFORE hitting the road, as tires hot from driving give inaccurate inflation readings.
- Check the coolant level and condition, making certain the proper 50/50 mixture of water and coolant is present.
- Check the level and condition of the engine oil. If driving under extreme conditions – such as very hot summer weather or pulling a heavy trailer – you may want to consider switching to an oil with higher viscosity. Check your owner’s manual for specific recommendations.
- Look for worn, cracked, blistered or soft belts or hoses. Always perform this check with the engine off.
- Hot weather can shorten the life of a car’s battery – if there’s concern, have it tested by a qualified automotive technician. AAA also offers members battery services “on the go.” AAA tests and replaces batteries at the roadside with free installation.
- Carry an emergency kit with a flashlight, extra batteries, warning devices such as flares or reflective triangles, jumper cables, a first-aid kit and extra water.
- Don’t let the gas level get below one-quarter of a tank.
- Reserve all accommodations in advance.
- Lock your car when you leave it and keep valuables out of sight.
- Secure children and adults in safety seats, booster seats or seat belts as required by law.
- Bring books, games, or music for the ride, and a pillow so passengers can sleep.
- Bring information on your destination or have access to the AAA mobile app to make the most of your trip.
Stop by your AAA service center and we’ll help you plan your summer road trip or visit our TripTik Travel Planner online. Either way, we wish you a safe and enjoyable vacation on the open road this summer!