You′ve no doubt heard the new media buzzword, “Staycation,” the idea that families are looking to vacation closer to home this summer because of record high gas and diesel prices. Shorter trips away from home in both time and distance are more popular than ever this year, so AAA Oregon/Idaho has come up with some suggestions for your next one-tank getaways. These are destinations most Oregonians can reach in a single tank of gas.
“Oregon is already known as a prime tourist destination, so we are very fortunate to have so many affordable get-aways in our backyard,” says Doreen Loofburrow, Director of Travel for AAA Oregon/Idaho. “Whether you visit the coast, Silver Falls, Sisters or John Day, you′ll find a wealth of vacation experiences at great values.”
Planning one-tank getaways
Of course Oregon and the Northwest have too many destinations to include all of them here, so be sure and visit AAA′s TripTik® Travel Planner, which has just been upgraded in time for the summer travel season. Features that have been added to the popular online mapping tool include the capability to create custom maps, a new travel guide section, easier navigation and an improved route modification tool. The TripTik Travel Planner provides travelers 24/7 access to AAA′s proprietary travel information, premier mapping information, and booking capabilities. It’s everything needed to plan an entire trip.
Users can also access time-saving construction and historic traffic congestion information on www.AAA.com, as well as the latest fuel prices at more than 100,000 U.S. gas stations, including E-85 fuel availability. You can also compare fuel prices in cities across the country by clicking on the AAA Fuel Price Finder.
Loofburrow says, “The new version of the TripTik Travel Planner offers the best of both worlds, 24/7 access from a personal computer, and the availability of AAA expert knowledge and support.”
- North Coast Hot Spots including Seaside and Cannon Beach
- Lesser Visited Coast Getaways:
- Wheeler: rent kayaks on the Nehalem River, bicycle or hike near Cape Mears, golf nearby
- Long Beach, WA: World Kite Museum and Hall of Fame
- Astoria: Cannery area, Fort Clatsop, Lewis and Clark sites
- Ocean Shores, WA
- Newport: Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Silver Falls State Park: A seven-mile loop trail viewing 10 Water Falls, or choose from three shorter hikes
- Eugene: Cottage Grove Covered Bridge Tour, Wine Tasting, Museums, Golf
- Sisters: Camp Sherman, Shopping and Dining in Sisters, Golf and Hiking
- Madras: Warm Springs, Kahneeta, Cove Palisades State Park, Deschutes river rafting
- Joseph, OR: Wallowa Lake, Gateway to Hells Canyon, Eagle Cap Wilderness
- Crater Lake: Boat Tours, Fishing, Hiking, visit Crater Lake Lodge
- Klamath Falls: National Wildlife Refuge, Bird Sanctuary, Golf
- Mt. Rainer National Park Paradise Inn: just reopened after 2 years of renovations
- Skamania Lodge: Wildflowers and Waterfalls package includes guided hikes, Bonneville Lock and Dam, and Columbia River Gorge.
- Drive to Seattle and park your car, then take the Victoria Clipper ferry to Victoria, BC: Butchart Gardens, Fairmont Empress Hotel High Tea
For more information, visit www.AAA.com. For a comparison of fuel prices across the nation, go to the AAA Fuel Price Finder at www.AAA.com. Or, plan your own one-tank getaways using our TripTik Travel Planner.