After traveling to 82 countries and 40+ years later there’s one essential I pack on every trip: a travel towel. Whether I’m flying or driving to my destination, it’s always a staple in my bag. It might sound funny to call a towel an ‘essential’ but it’s not just any towel, it’s microfiber, and it has so many uses.
But first – what’s so special about microfiber? In general, microfiber towels are small, thin, and light because they are designed specifically for travel. It’s an extremely fast drying fabric with simple wringing removing 90% of the water – allowing it to dry much faster than standard towels. It also packs down to the size of a water bottle – so it doesn’t take up valuable space in my bag. FYI- microfiber towels wipe the water off your skin instead of absorbing it, which is why they are so quick-drying.
My favorite brand is Gear Aid™ as it resists odors with a powerful antimicrobial treatment and it’s easy to clean. When traveling, I wash it out in the shower and hang to dry with its handy snap loop and when back home I toss it in the washing machine for a good wash. It also comes with a mesh pouch to help keep my bag organized.
Gear Aid ™ Microfiber Travel Towel
AAA Member price $26.99
Available in Moss, Navy, Mocha
Size: 35” x 62” (almost 3’x5’)
So Many Uses
I’ve used my travel towel for a variety of reasons on so many different occasions: a river cruise bike excursion for a picnic, beach towel on a sailing adventure in the Agean Sea and many years ago as a bath towel trekking in Nepal (btw – it’s the perfect gift for any adventure traveler or camper you know). It’s especially perfect for beach trips – for wiping sand off wet feet – with the plus being the sand shakes right off the towel, unlike cotton which stays wet and sand sticks to forever! My favorite use? As a blanket on the plane. And, when I am not flying, I keep it in my car to use when someone likes the a/c set to ‘freezing’.
Top ten reasons to pack a microfiber travel towel on every trip:
- Beach Towel – save valuable vacation money on a beach towel
- Sarong / Cover up – use as a quick pool or beach cover up
- Shoulder Wrap – the XL size makes the perfect should wrap on
- Blanket on the plane – think freezing a/c from the person sitting next to you
- Blanket in the car – think freezing a/c in the summer
- Full-size bath towel – smaller hotels often only offer one towel
- Drop cloth for a picnic – perfect to sit on damp grass or as a tablecloth
- Traveling with pets – wipe off puppy feet before getting back in the car
- Sporting events – stay warm in the stands or on the side lines
- Outdoor concerts/Farmers markets – sit on or use as a blanket when cold in the evening
In addition to the Gear Aid ™ Microfiber Travel Towel, I like to travel with a small microfiber towel (12” x 12”) in my handbag or backpack. It’s the perfect size for day tours, quick clean ups, picnics and for use in small European hotels where washcloths are sometimes not provided.
AAA Member price $10.25
Available in Red, Blue and Green
Size: 12” x 12”
Join us for an upcoming Travel Smart, Pack Right event!
Join AAA and Travel Expert Anne McAlpin for tips on effortless travel.
Learn How To:
- Pack efficiently for any trip
- Be prepared for airport security
- Travel smart in today’s world
AAA Clackamas Service Center
10365 SE Sunnyside Road
Travel Smart: Travel Tips You Should Know
Let’s get packing! As we gear up for travel, now is a good time to prepare for your next trip. Join AAA and Travel Expert Anne McAlpin for a fun virtual event and learn timely travel tips you should know.
With thirty years of travel experience, Anne will be covering:
- Organizing your money, passport and travel documents
- Packing personal care items
- How to choose the best day-bag
- And more!