By Travel & Packing Expert: Anne McAlpin
As we cruise into summer travel season, it’s time to get packing – and for many travelers packing personal care items can be the most challenging part of getting ready for any trip.
Deciding what to take and how to organize everything can be stressful – here are some tips – and products – to make the process easier.
- If you’re flying to your destination, be sure to check TSA.GOV for security updates before you head to the airport and download MyTSA app which provides 24/7 access to the most frequently asked security information on any mobile device.
- Pack your toiletries a few days in advance and then go through your normal routine. Make sure everything you need is ready to go.
- Always pack medications and necessary toiletries in your carryon bag – in case your checked luggage is delayed.
- If traveling carry-on-only remember: all liquids must be 3.4 oz or less, packed in one clear, quart-sized bag.
- Invest in a lightweight hanging toiletry kit. Older hotels, B&B’s and ‘classic’ ships have minimal counter space and a hanging kit can be hung in a bathroom to maximize space.
- Pack makeup and toiletries separately – in case something leaks it won’t ruin expensive cosmetics.
- One of the bulkiest items to pack is a hairdryer. Since many hotels and cruise ships provide one – ask in advance.
Travel Essentials for Packing Personal Care Items
Personal care items vary – from make-up to cotton swaps – and that’s where Baggallini’s Clear Trio Kit Organizers come in handy. This set of three clear, water resistant pouches are great for packing and separating all types of toiletries– from nail clippers to cosmetic brushes – and help you find just what you need with a quick glance. And- the smallest size is TSA-friendly – perfect for your liquid carry-on must haves.
Tip: Save space by putting small amounts of liquid foundation, gels or toothpaste in contact lens cases.
The last thing anyone wants is to open their bag to find shampoo has leaked everywhere – so be sure to use reliable liquid containers like GoToobs. Typical travel bottles are usually hard plastic canisters whereas GoToobs are made from soft rugged silicone – which make them easy to squeeze – and they are approved for TSA airline carry-on.
GoToobs are also food-safe (FDA) – think squeezable peanut butter – or Nutella – for a tasty snack on long travel days.
Tip: The secret to packing liquids so they don’t leak? Only fill them ¾ of the way full – squeeze out the excess air and screw on the lid.
Medication is one of the most important personal care items you’ll pack, and you can travel at ease by pre-planning your dosages with this pill organizer from Lewis N. Clark.
Made of durable polyester, 14 day/night compartments store medications, vitamins, and supplements for a full week. It folds open and closed to keep your pills private, while the magnetic system connects the case to cover and the silicone lid keeps pills securely in place.
Also included is a medical reference card to list your important medical information in case of emergency, with space for name, emergency contact, physician, medical conditions, allergies, and more. Easily stores in interior plastic pocket.
Fast track your way through airport security with the Travelon Wet/Dry Hanging Toiletry Kit. This convenient organizer combines a 1-quart bag with a 2nd compartment for non-liquids – good for packing in flight items like a toothbrush, snack, etc.
Included are 3 reusable bottles, two jars and a 1.2 oz bottle with atomizer, all TSA compliant.
Upon arrival, use the 360 degree swivel hook to hang it on a towel bar or shower rod – allowing easy access to both sections and maximizing valuable counter space.
Traveling Soon? Join Us For A Packing Event!
Join AAA and Travel Expert Anne McAlpin for tips on effortless travel.
Learn How To:
- Pack efficiently for any trip
- Be prepared for airport security
- Travel smart in today’s world