Tasty treats, spooky skeletons, and ghastly ghouls are all part of Halloween fun. Whether you’re hosting a safe, socially-distanced boneyard bash, or handing out candy to costumed neighbors, tricksters may be roaming the streets in search of mischief.

Property vandalism and injuries spike on Halloween. More vandalism claims are filed on Halloween than any other day of the year, according to the Highway Data Loss Institute.

Get a Quote 


1. Prepare for pranksters.

Avoid having your car vandalized or stolen. Park in a secure, well-lit area with your windows up and doors locked.

2. Keep an eye out for Wolverine and Wonder Woman.

Drive slowly! Turn your headlights on earlier in the day to make it easier to see and be seen by children.

3. Light up the night.

Keep the outside of your home well lit. It’ll help keep the creeps away and provide safe passage to party guests and trick-or-treaters. Clear your paths and walkways of debris and leaves in order to prevent injury.

4. Follow safe pumpkin protocol.

Consider using flameless candles whenever possible. If you cannot, keep lit jack-o-lanterns, candles, matches and lighters out of children’s reach.

5. Beware the brew.

Hosting a grown-up get-together? You’ll want to have plenty of non-alcoholic beverages and snacks on hand. DO NOT let anyone drive intoxicated.

6. Black Cats Beware

Keep pets inside and away from trick-or-treaters, especially if they are easily frightened. Secure them safely so they can’t dart out when the door is open.


According to the Insurance Information Institute, most homeowners, renters and auto insurance policies will provide coverage for these Halloween-related mishaps:

1. Vandalism

Standard homeowners and renters insurance policies will provide coverage for vandalism. In the event that your car is vandalized, the optional comprehensive portion of your auto insurance policy covers damages.

2. Fire

Always play it safe with open flames, but if a Halloween decoration causes a fire and damages your property, your homeowners or renters policy will cover fire-related losses, up to policy limits.

3. Injury

You may be covered under the liability portion of your homeowners or renters insurance policy – up to specified limits – in the event that someone is injured on your property. A standard policy also includes no-fault medical coverage – up to specified limits. This allows the injured person to file their claim directly with your insurance company.

To find out more, call your AAA agent or 1-866-222-7868 to discuss your coverage options.

Get a quote today!