For many travelers, packing personal care items can be the most challenging part of getting ready for a trip. Deciding what to take and figuring out how to prevent leaks can be stressful – here are some tips to make the process easier.
- Pack your toiletries a few days in advance and then go through your normal routine. Check to make sure everything you need is ready to go. Remember, travel size items save space.
- If you’re traveling by plane bring medications and necessary toiletries in your carryon bag -in case your checked luggage is delayed. If traveling carry-on-only remember: all liquids must be 3.4 oz or less, packed in a clear, quart-sized bag.
- Invest in a lightweight hanging toiletry kit. Older hotels, B&B’s and ‘classic’ ships have minimal counter space and a hanging kit can be hung on a towel rack, shower rod, etc. to maximize space.
- Pack makeup and toiletries separately – in case something leaks it won’t ruin expensive cosmetics.
- One of the bulkiest personal care items to pack is a hairdryer. Since many hotels and cruise ships provide one – check out in advance – and you’re packing lighter!
Travel Essentials for Packing Personal Care Items
AAA Member Price $23.99
3-Pack 2.5 oz each | 100% BPA-free and PC-free
The last thing anyone wants is to open their bag to find shampoo has leaked all over their clothes. Since changes in pressure can make liquids expand, the secret to packing liquids so they don’t leak is to only fill them ¾ of the way full – squeeze out the excess air and screw on the lid. Then pack inside a plastic bag just in case.
Be sure to use reliable liquid containers like GoToobs. Typical travel bottles are hard plastic canisters – GoToobs are made from soft rugged silicone – are easy to squeeze – and approved for TSA airline carry-on.
Bonus tip: GoToobs are also food-safe (FDA) – think squeezable peanut butter (or Nutella!) for long travel days and maple syrup for pancakes on backpacking and camping trips.
Baggallini Travel Organizer
AAA Member Price $21.99
Exterior dimensions: 8” W x 4.5″ H x 1.5″
Personal care items vary – from make-up to cotton swaps – and that’s where the Baggallini Travel Organizer comes in handy/play. Multi-functional compartments are great for separating essentials – like nail clippers and cosmetic brushes – while a clear back panel helps you find just what you need with a quick glance.
Tip: To save space, pack makeup samples rather than full size products and use contact lens cases for small amounts or liquid foundation or gels.
Lewis N. Clark AM/PM Pill Organizer + Supplement Case
Member Price $15.99
Item dimensions: 11” x 7” x 3”
Medication is the most important care item you’ll pack, and you can travel at ease by pre-planning your dosages with this colored – and numbered – pill organizer from Lewis N. Clark.
Made of durable polyester, this organizer includes 16 clear slide-locking pill pockets that can be added and removed as needed, while the adjustable velcro fastener keeps pills safe in place.
Also included is a medical reference card to list your important medical information in case of emergency, with space for your name, emergency contact, physician, medical conditions, allergies, and more.
Travelon Hanging Toiletry Kit
Member Price $21.50
Item dimensions 9” x 3.75” x 8”
Pack everything you need in Travelon’s Hanging Toiletry Kit. Two roomy interior pockets allow containers to stand upright and the clear front panel provides a clear view of your items.
Accessories like fingernail clippers and band-aids fit nicely in the zippered mesh pocket and the attached hook allows it to hang easily on a towel bar or shower rod – then tucks away when not in use. Tip: Pack a binder clip to protect razor blades in case you lose the safety cover.
Now is a great time to prepare for your next trip. Join AAA and Travel Expert Anne McAlpin and learn travel tips you should know. With thirty years of travel experience, Anne will be covering:
- Organizing your money, passport and travel documents
- Packing personal care items
- How to choose the best day-bag
- And more!
RSVP for an Upcoming Event
Get Everything You Need at Your Local AAA Travel Store